top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Updated: Aug 25, 2023

What is the difference between a 504 and an IEP?

  • 504 plan supports students with mild disabilities to provide accommodations in an educational setting.

  • IEP or Individualized Education Plan, supports students with a wide range of disabilities and provides services such as: specialized academic instruction, speech and language intervention, and more in addition to accommodations and/or modifications in an educational setting.

What is the difference between a modification and an accommodation?

  • A modification changes WHAT a student learns and is directly connected to instruction and assessment. For example, omitting story problems, using specialized/alternative curricula written at lower level, simplified vocabulary and concepts, alternative reading books at independent reading level.

  • An accommodation changes HOW a student learns or helps the student work around the disability. For example, extended time on assignments, shortened assignments, simplification of directions, note taking support.

What is the difference between an RSP class and an SDC class?

  • Resource Specialist Program (RSP) offers Specialized Academic Instruction that supports the general education curriculum, either in the general education classroom or special education resource room.

  • Special Day Class offers intensive Specialized Academic Instruction to students who require more time outside of the general education setting.

What do I do if I suspect or know my child has a disability?

  • You have the right to request that your child be assessed by your student’s professional team at school as early as 3 years old.​

CLICK HERE for more support and information from the California Department of Education (CDE).


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page